11 Reasons for Hallmark Christmas Movies… | HumorOutcasts

11 Reasons for Hallmark Christmas Movies…

December 22, 2015
By

HallmarkmoviesOkay, I’m a sucker for these treacly, wonderful pieces of froth.

I wanted something sweet when I have given up sweets. Can one get cavities from watching TV?

I wanted romance. I have written a few things down for my husband that seem to work in these movies. Like one must go ice skating and fall down. No problem there. Apparently lying about  your identity is also very romantic. I’ve tried to tell my husband I’m  Nigella but no spectacular gifts seem to be arriving addressed to “Nigella.”

I wanted to see the real meaning of Christmas. I do love how these movies just make me think everyone loves each other. Really. You just have to wait until Christmas.

I wanted to feel connected to humanity. At least, I’d like to be connected to Hallmark Humanity. These are nice people. They give you cookies and hot cocoa and show up at your house at all hours of the day and night to make sure you’re okay.

I wanted to uncomplicate life. Who wouldn’t want to live in a  Hallmark town? You either work in a coffee shop, a gift shop, play Santa or get the promotion of your dreams. And every town has a cute skating rink and Christmas carolers.

I wanted to drink wine and shed a tear. This is not a requirement of a Hallmark movie, but it really adds to the experience. I highly recommend it. I’m pretty sure some of my Facebook writer buddies were doing that on Saturday night as we all tried to post things with minimal success.

I wanted to see just one kiss that seemed so special. I can’t help it. I just want to be under the mistletoe have a handsome guy gently caress my face, touch my lower lip with his thumb and come in ever so slowly for that kiss. Are you reading this, hubby..hello? Just pretend I’m Nigella.

I wanted to believe…even just for a minute…believe. You never leave a Hallmark movie without believing in Santa, Christmas miracles, love, mended and blended families, decisions with no regrets and  that all is and can be right with the world. What could ever be wrong with that in just 90 minutes?

I wanted to not look at or think about anything political, sad, ugly, mean, nasty, stupid or ignorant..just for those 90 minutes.

I wanted to make my friend on chemo happier, so I told her to watch Hallmark movies.

I wanted to feel Christmas again and every year.

I love Hallmark movies, Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson, fruitcake..yes I love fruitcake, sue me…….Belgian chocolate, my kids and my husband, who I’m pretty sure is actually Brad Pitt.

cathy sikorski

After more than 25 years of caregiving and Elder Law, Cathy writes about the comedy of caregiving in her blog; "You just have to Laugh..."She is the author of "Showering with Nana: Confessions of a Serial (killer) Caregiver" published by HumorOutcasts Press in 2015.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Google Plus - YouTube

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to 11 Reasons for Hallmark Christmas Movies…

1. December 26, 2015 at 9:01 am

I watched a Hallmark movie in which the male lead was also Agent Coulson from Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD. It was like my mind split in two — I couldn’t take the juxtaposition.

2. December 22, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Who wouldn’t want to live in a Hallmark town? This Jew is really happy that she doesn’t have to. But I enjoyed this piece. Favorite line? Comparing your husband to Brad Pitt. Sweet.

• December 23, 2015 at 9:48 am

I’m absolutely positive they are happy Jews in Hallmark town. I think I’ll write that movie!! How great would that be?

3. Kathy Minicozzi
    December 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I’ll bring the fruitcake and the popcorn if you’ll let me watch sappy movies with you! 😉

• Kathy Minicozzi
      December 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I’ll bring chocolate, too, if you’ll let me make snarky remarks while the movies are playing.

• December 23, 2015 at 9:46 am

Kathy you can come IMMEDIATELY. I just baked cookies for the first time in like 10 years…bring on the fruitcake..I love being in your club. And yes, snarky remarks are absolutely required. That’s why I miss my daughters until they get to town.

4. December 22, 2015 at 4:27 pm

You use their films to cheer people up? I do nothing but cry during these flicks — even the plagiarized ones of which there are a lot. 🙂

• December 23, 2015 at 9:44 am

I’m pretty sure they are all plagarized and mashed together. Crying is good for the season…you want to anyway!!!

5. Bill Y Ledden
    December 22, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Don Don’s, nobody can see these words, right? Cool, just checking. One of my favourite films might be Gidget from 1959. The tagline for the movie is “A young girl discovers surfing and love”. Of course I will deny this if/when it comes up in court. Just saying…

• December 22, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Only I can see these words Bill Y…I’ll just tell you that. I share your love of Gidget. What a shocker!

• December 22, 2015 at 4:13 pm

As a lawyer over here, I will make sure this stays as lawyer-client privilege, Bill Y. Just for the price of your comment!

6. Bill Spencer
    December 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

“Cathy Sikorski—when you care enough to read the very best.”

(My wife says she counted that I put over 40 Hallmark Christmas movies on our DVR this year. That was before I recorded several [who’s counting?] others.)

• December 22, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Haha…I really need to meet the lovely Mrs. Spencer. She’s got to be a card!!! A Hallmark, that is!

User Login